Only two weeks left for the CSA, so that means it’s time to turn our attention to winterizing the farm. Time to throw up row covers and protect our field crops and tuck in the high tunnel veggies. Cover crops are being spread across the ground while we clean up odds and ends and organize the barn. The coming weeks will be times of reflection, brainstorming and planning for the coming year. Stay tuned to hear of the changes to come.
Weekly CSA Newsletter
What's in the box
Butternut Squash, Popping Corn, Garlic, Romaine Lettuce, Green Star Lettuce, Oregano/Rosemary bunch, Collard Greens, Carrots, Swiss Chard, Kale
Furikake-Inspired Daikon Radish Tops
Radishes come in many shapes and sizes, are carved and cleverly displayed in a December ‘Night of the Radishes’ in Oaxaca, Mexico, and are now making a fall appearance in Crabtree CSA boxes and market booths. Crabtree’s Daikon radishes from this year are some of the biggest we’ve grown. To celebrate this year’s crop of Japanese root veggies as well as prevent food waste, we encourage you to consider consuming the entire plant, not just the delightfully crunchy root.
Daikon radish roots have an earthy bite that should mellow a bit when you apply heat in the form of roasting or sautéing. Their greens, while sometimes overlooked and tossed aside, are highly nutritious and become mouthwatering when made into a moist version of furikake, a Japanese rice seasoning, and added to steamed rice, miso soup, or stir fry.
- Daikon top from 1 Daikon radish
- 1 TBSP toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp white sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 TBSP mirin
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 TBSP soy sauce
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- Wash, dry and finely chop Daikon greens, including stems.
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped daikon greens.
- Sauté, stirring until the greens are wilted and coated with oil. Add mirin, honey and soy sauce. Taste and add a pinch of salt to taste.
- Simmer on low heat. When the liquids are almost evaporated, add the sesame seeds and cook until the liquids have all cooked off.
- Serve with rice. Keeps in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.