Soup’s on at Crabtree! This filling soup comes together quickly and easily enough that even your kiddos can get in on the fun. Pair it with a crisp salad and you’ve got a satisfying dinner on the table in under 45 minutes.
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 TBSP flour
- 3 c chicken broth (or 3 c water plus 3 tsp bouillon)
- 1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes
- 3 TBSP tomato paste
- 4 c cheese tortellini (either dried or fresh will work, you’ll want to adjust your cooking time to match the recommended time on the package)
- 1/3 c heavy cream
- 1/2 c freshly grated Parmesan
- 3 c spinach, arugula or kale, packed and coarsely chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Parsley (optional garnish)
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until translucent, about 3 min.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 min more.
- Add Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and flour. Whisk to combine. Cook 1 more minute
- Add broth, tomatoes, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, add tortellini and then simmer until tortellini is cooked based on package recommendation (usually between 6 to 10 minutes). If using kale, add it when you have 5 minutes left on the tortellini
- Add the cream and Parmesan. Stir to combine. If using spinach or arugula, add and let it wilt
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot and garnish with parsley if desired