Our Executive Director, Sara McIntyre, has a fantastic collection of family recipes, many of which can be easily adapted to use seasonal and local produce. We hope you enjoy this butternut squash bread recipe from her grandmother’s kitchen.
- 2 c butternut squash
- 1 c vegetable oil
- 4 eggs (local, if possible)
- 3 c white sugar
- 2/3 c water
- 3 1/2 c flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the oil and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy (about 1 minute). Add squash puree and water and mix until combined. Add eggs one at a time.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients.
- Place batter into 2 greased bread pans and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.